Monday, March 10, 2014

Food Choice/Choice Food

The first time we came to New Zealand the standard choices for nibbles in cafes included Anzac biscuits and canned asparagus rolled into sliced of buttered white bread. I remember writing home and saying that I loved New Zealand but needed to come home because I was hankering after a decent cup of coffee.

Cafe food has come a long way from those days of tasteless cookies and cuisine designed for people who believe mushy peas are a treat. These days I return to NZ not just to see my friends but because I have a yen for a decaf trim flat white, which is like a latte but better, for savoury muffins and scones filled with feta and pumpkin and bacon, to sample dragonfruit (hot pink inside and out) for cheap mangoes and passionfruit available by the kilo.

But discovering Little and Friday's, a cafe attached to a fabric store in a backstreet of Auckland's Newmarket, gave me fresh reasons to return. It was hard to choose just one shot of the amazing sugary treats on offer. Yes, you can also get salads and sandwiches, but really, why would you?

1 comment: