Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Big Things in a Big Country

New Zealand has its giant kiwi fruit in Te Puke, it's humungous carrot in Ohakune, its scarily large trout in Gore. 


So why was I surprised to see Australian megafauna gracing a roadside attraction on the way to Horsham from Halls Gap? I'm still regretting my split-second decision to speed by this house-sized koala. What was I thinking?


As we continued northwest to Adelaide after visiting a friend in Horsham, we slowed to enter the town of Keith, where I spied a sign listing  "Land Rover On Pole" as one of the town's attractions.  Another colloquialism? I wondered. Maybe they're warning us that we're heading into a really rough road, with 4 wheel drive advised, I thought. But no. These Ozzies say what they mean and mean what they say, for indeed in the town park there was a Land Rover and yup, it was, as advertised, on a pole. We fought the all but overwhelming urge to stop and investigate the need to put an SUV on a stick and drove on.

















But when I got back to NZ and did some research, it turns out that a less direct route to our destination could have taken us by an oversized statue of a plate of potatoes and forks, ready to be served to a carb-loading giant. This one is for my Spud Buds back home. A little butter, a little salt, and I could imagine a very happy giant.  Road trip? 

No comments:

Post a Comment